Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Graduation decor

This article is inspired by this article: http://shine.yahoo.com/parenting/high-school-senior-denied-diploma-for-wearing-when-did-graduation-become-a-battleground--192900808.html

My senior year of high school (1994-95), my nickname was Chicken.  This was a bit of a joke that I started, but soon became wide-spread.  When I walked across the stage to receive my diploma, the entire graduating class and half of the people in the audience yelled out the name "Chicken!" in a congratulatory cheer.  For someone who thinks of herself as "Merelyme Noone," this was a feat bordering on impossible.

Cutting the story short, when I was preparing for graduation, I intended on placing a small stuffed animal chicken on top of my mortarboard as a nod to this chosen moniker.  I was politely (but firmly) asked to remove it.  I complied.

This illustrates the fact that I understand the desire for Ms. Ramer to portray an important part of her life during such a milestone as graduation.  I also understand the desire for the high school to keep the uniform of the day just that: uniform.

When Ms. Ramer made clear her intention to sport the eagle feather, the headmaster made it clear she was to refrain from doing so.  Ms. Ramer decided her "spiritual and cultural symbol of pride" was more authoritative in this situation than the headmaster of the school from which she was earning a commendation.

In this situation, I would have advised the school to disallow Ms. Ramer from walking with the rest of her class, but to not fine her, nor to hold her diploma for ransom.

In my humble opinion, high schools should be used to antics of seniors by now.  They should be the adults in the situation and take control as if they actually are the adults in control.  Ms. Ramer did not do anything really out of control, nor did she do anything illegal or disruptive.  If her actions are too disruptive to be allowed to walk with the rest of the class, no other action should be necessary.

Just how I understand things,
Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment