Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Starting a new semester

This week has heralded the start of a new semester for me, complete with four courses, comprising the required 12 credit hours to make me a full-time student!

Yay!

This has been quite the busy week, and it is only the end of Wednesday.

With most courses up until this time, I expect the first week to be filled with the preliminary organization tasks (read and print the syllabus, organize my folders on my thumb drive, tabulate my textbooks, and buy a new pack of highlighters, etc).  However, it seems I have chosen graduate courses for this semester: they require an actual assignment to be completed the first week (not just the expected "introduction" on the discussion board or email to the instructor).

By the way, in case you hadn't picked up on this little detail from my writings above, I am taking all of my courses online.  I highly recommend taking most of your college/ university courses online, with a few exceptions.  For me, those exceptions include mathematics courses (calculus, etc.) and science courses (biology, chemistry, etc.).  Oh, and that pesky communications course that requires you to speak in front of an audience of so many members.  I tried to do that one online, but I just didn't have access to an audience of at least 50 people at my beck and call, just waiting to hear me speak (and be video-taped for proof) on four separate occasions...Gee, I thought everyone had that kind of access! (lol)

Anyway, for those waiting on the edge of your seats waiting to know: I am taking "Introduction to Women's and Gender Studies" with professor McGonigal, "Social Problems" with professor Johnson, "Advanced Sociological Research" with professor Brinker, and "Grant Proposal Development" with professor Campbell.

I dropped the nutrition course I was going to take (yes, that would have meant 5 courses this semester) because I found that it wasn't going to be significantly different than the previous health and nutrition course I already passed.  I was hoping to find something more specific, but I suppose googling everything will have to do.

Back to the grind-stone...I have several chapters to read, powerpoints to watch/listen to, and a video presentation to watch...all before next week.

I love school!
;)

No comments:

Post a Comment