Thursday, September 26, 2013

Frosting or Caramel?

What did I learn today?

I tried to make a really great frosting for a birthday cake today, but I think I succeeded in making caramel instead.

First, I searched for a good white chocolate frosting recipe, but instead came across "Chocolate Fudge Frosting" (Rombauer, 1997: 1000).  This recipe requires me to start with "Dark Chocolate Fudge" (Rombauer, 1997: 851).  However, instead of 6 ounces of bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, finely chopped, I added 6 ounces of white chocolate, finely chopped.  All went really well, until I noticed it wasn't thickening or losing it's sheen as described in the recipe.  I can't say for sure what I did wrong, but I can tell you a few things I learned today

1) Each step takes a lot longer than a reading of the recipe would lead a novice candy maker to believe.  I suppose if I knew more about making candy, I would have known how long the process would take.

2) Eat first.  With how long the process takes, it is best to eat first because it would be near impossible to interrupt the cooking process to take a bite.

3) The stuff that sticks to the bottom of the pan after turning out the fudgy goo is REALLY good :)

4) If I were to attempt this project again, I believe I would use my stand mixer.  As I said earlier, each step (including the mixing and stirring) takes way longer than anticipated.

5) If I didn't use my stand mixer, I would use a Lazy Susan to turn my marble slab with greater ease.

6) This is definitely NOT a white chocolate frosting, but it might turn out to be a caramel frosting.

7) To be fair, if I had used the chocolate the recipe called for, it may have turned out the way the writers intended.

8) Even the accidental caramel frosting tastes REALLY good! :)

9) I just really hope the birthday boy and girl (Ty and Penny share a birthday) enjoy it.

The search continues for a really good white chocolate frosting for our next cake.

That is how I understand things
Laura

Rombauer, Irma S., Rombauer Becker, Marion, and Becker, Ethan (1997) Joy of Cooking. New York, NY: Scribner. Pp 851, 1000.

No comments:

Post a Comment