Thursday, August 1, 2013

Se mucho prepara

I have been preparing a lot for the upcoming semester at Fort Hays State University, out of Hays, Kansas.  I take my courses online.

For Fall 2013 semester, I am enrolled in five courses:

COMM 100 Fundamentals of Oral Communication (3)
IDS 350 Diversity in the United States (3)
MLNG 226 Beginning Spanish II (5)
SOC 388 Sociology of the Family in America (3)
SOC 665 Social Entrepreneurship (3)

That's a total of 17 credit hours!  Needless to say, I'm nervous about the upcoming course load.  Because of this nervousness, and the realization that I will be extremely busy in the next few months, I have been preparing as much as possible beforehand.  Part of this preparation includes intensely studying Spanish.  I believe I have learned much, but I also don't feel confident in my ability to communicate effectively in Spanish.

The rest of the semester together accounts for a normal full-time semester.  I have no qualms about any of the other courses.  I believe my other communications courses should cover the required communication course, but who am I to change standard University policy?  "Diversity" should be another course in racial, ethnic, and class inequality; I have taken at least two others of the same genre.  "Family" should be interesting, and very similar to at least two other courses I have previously taken.  I am hoping to be able to apply the information to my own family.  Lastly, Social Entrepreneurship is particularly exciting to me.  With this course, I am building on the Grant Proposal Writing course of last semester.

At the end of this semester, I expect to earn my Bachelor's degree with a concentration in Sociology.  Additionally, after I have completed these courses (specifically the communications course), I can earn my Associates degree with a concentration in Psychology (a bit out of order, eh?).  As for next semester: I will apply to graduate school toward the end of August.  I intend to start graduate studies in January, with the goal to earn a Master in Liberal Studies with a concentration in  Organizational Leadership.

Is it too early to start thinking about my Thesis? Too late ;)

That's the way I understand things
Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment